Thursday, November 12, 2009

The Great Debate: QDoba vs Chipotle

I really struggle with this debate. I really think I could eat Mexican food for every meal of the day. I used to say that hands down I was a QDoba kind of a girl. Don't get me wrong, I still heart QDoba. With that said, I must say that Chipotle is really creeping up on QDoba's lead. Maybe it's because the closest Q to me is about 25 miles away (and by LA standards that's close to an hour by car). I can often get to Chipotle at the Grove or Beverly Center in under ten minutes. Point: Chipotle.


In college, there was this little Mexican joint on State Sreet named Z-Teca. We came, we loved, we conquered the burritos. Sophomore year, a little franchise called QDoba took over and introduced me to putting queso on your burrito; Point: QDoba. It really was life changing. We often left the KK and meandered over to QDoba on our way home to wait in line for 45 minutes and pound a 1000 calorie burrito at 3 AM; Point: Slightly overweight college years. Then there were the sober times when we would skip class on a rainy day and watch endless hours of TV and make Cravens drive us to the QDoba near the hospital to get take out. Fun college memories...Point: QDoba.

Then I moved to LA where QDobas are few and far between. I had to adjust to the Chipotle burritos. Over the years, I have learned to like them more and more. They have better chips than QDoba (more hint of lime); Point: Chipotle. And less fatty chicken; Point Chipotle. But Qdoba has better guacamole; Point: QDoba.

I am going to go ahead and dock Chiptole one point for not naming itself something easier for the idiots in America. It's pronounced Chi-pote-LAY. NOT Chip-ohlt-eeeee. Chipotle: -1.

Summary of points:
Chipotle: 2
QDoba: 3
Slightly Overweight College years: 1

I fear that this is a debate that my friends and I will always discuss, and maybe someday we will agree one way or the other. I am at peace with admitting that I like Chipotle almost as much as QDoba. One thing I do know, is that if Chipotle added queso to their menu, it would be a whole new ball game. Someone please send this to Chipotle corporate in Colorado.

Happy eating!

1 comment:

  1. I love the point given to Slightly Overweight College Years. Good times. Do you have a backless tank I can borrow for the frat party tonight?

    ReplyDelete